My name is Osman Tsjardiwal and I am a professional Environment artist currently employed at Guerrilla Games in Amsterdam, working on Killzone: Shadow Fall
You can contact me using the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This small environment is based on russian abondoned buildings. I’ve tried to build a scene with specs that would be common in a real working environment and kept things optimized. The main focus on this piece was the lighting. The video below is a work-in-progress but it’s close to completion. I will update it as soon as I have more recent videos/screenshots.
These are some examples of high polygon models.
Here is a sheet with a couple of textures that I created for this scene.
Here is some of the meshes used in the scene. These are screengrabs from UDK.
Brink is a FPS shooter on the xbox360, ps3 and PC. It was my first big project and I had a lot of fun working in London at Splash Damage. My job was environment art and I have helped create models for several maps of the game. The environment team was pretty big so the following screenshots all have little bits and pieces done by me. Sometimes it’s small models, sometimes big. There is also a lot of optimization and polish that I did on some of the maps.
RoboMinion is a 3D puzzle game created by me and my friend Cesareo Gutierrez. Since this was a 2 man project, my role on this game was pretty big. I did some of the initial programming for the game-play logic and all of the art. The art included all the 3D models, textures, particle effects and UI. I also authored all of the shaders we used on this game. Here are some more screenshots.
IronGrip: Marauders (IGM) is a turn-based strategy game that you can play in your browser. The game is an MMO in which you can fulfill missions or battle it out against other players in PvP. My job on this project was 3D Artist/ Technical artist. This was the first project in which I really started doing a lot of technical work which included; Creating ( in some cases re-creating) most of the shaders. I also created several MEL scripts to have some UV-Tools in maya and some texel-density scripts. As for art, I created most of the ground texture, tree/foliage and a lot of the game units. I will try and explain what I did in the following screenshots.
In this screenshot you can see the revamped terrain shaders/textures. Before we had a Warcraft 3 style terrain which looked a little too low resolution and cartoony. In this new version we’re using a completely new shader that blends several layers of textures into one. All of the ground texture are done by me. The lighting/mood etc is also mostly my responsibility.
I have created several units that varied in sizes. All of them were completely hand-textured with little to no photo-sourcing at all. I had to completely forget the ‘next-gen’ approach and simply take the pixel brush in Photoshop and paint in all of the details. It was painful at times, but always challenging and fun.
Random Projects( Programming )
Rm Arena is a little arena shooter with tanks that I created in approximately 11 days. It was for a competition hosted on the Unity3D site. The game is completely programmed by me and the art is also mine. I had to create very cheap art because I did not have the time to work on detailed environments/objects.
I’m a frequent visitor on the polycount.com forums because it’s a great source of information on game development. Diogo Texeira, one of my friends over there, created an amazingly handy tool that converts normal maps from one space to another. It spawned from ideas from withing the community and eventualy shared with the community. I did my part by taking Diogo’s command-line tool and creating a little GUI for it. You can find more information about the tool over at polycount’s wiki page: Normal Mapping
The games that I create in my spare time are mostly done in Unity3D engine. But one of my real favourite engines is the Unreal Engine. I was very happy with what they did with UDK and so I started creating little prototypes. After some time working in Notepad got tiresome and the nFringe plugin did not have a cheap license, so I decided to create my own little script editor. I am still working on it every now and then and I hope to release it someday. It has all the basic features right now; working with multiple files in different tabs, intelliSense, syntax highlighting and it can run the game for you. It also outputs the log to the editor and highlights the line that threw an error.
In my first couple of weeks at ISOTX I decided to create some handy scripts in MEL. The features were mostly pretty basic, it included some uv-shifting, grid settings etc. One of the more useful features was the texel-density fixer. It would make sure that your uvs had a consisten texel-density.